This is day number 3 and my kids still ravinously devour the potato soup. Will take a few days break then I will have to make another pot for them again! Yes, it is that delicious… I can freely say that because I have a bunch of VERY picky eaters in this house!!
This soup is not the creamy kind, but the chunky vegetable one which we all prefer way better. But you can always immerse your blender in it at the very end to make it creamy (I used to do that when my kids were younger, and it is just as delicious). Now this is how I make potato soup.
- 1 kg potatoes
- 200-300 g ham (or any other smoked meat)
- 2 carrots, sliced/chopped
- 1 parsnip, split in half (to be discarded later)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1/2 red bell pepper, diced (optional)
- 1 tomato, diced
- 1 large bay leaf (or 2 small)
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 heaping tablespoon flour
- 1-2 cups sour cream
- 1 handful parsley, chopped
- 4 tablespoons canola oil
- In a large pot sauté the carrots, parsnip, onion and red bell pepper (if using) in 2 tablespoons of oil for about 3-5 minutes, or until onions are translucent.
- Add the ham (diced), tomato, bay leaf, salt and oregano to the pot. Cover with about 2 litres of water, and bring to boil. Simmer covered for 20 minutes.
- In the meanwhile peel and dice the potatoes. Add to the pot and bring back to boil. Simmer covered for 20 more minutes.
- Remove the bay leaf (if you can find it) and the 2 parsnip halves.
- In a medium sized pan make the roux as follows. Heat remaining 2 tablespoons of oil over medium heat. Add the flour and mix continuously with a wooden spoon for about 1 minute (or until fragrant but NOT browned). Add the paprika and cook for another 15 seconds or so. Remove from heat and add 3 ladles of soup from the pot, whisking well after each addition. Add the sour cream. Whisk well. Thin it more with soup if needed in order to get a thicker liquid consistency.
- Add this roux to the soup, mixing gently until well combined.
- Bring to a gentle boil, and remove from heat promptly. Add the parsley (if there are no picky eaters for greens floating in the soup, otherwise omit like we do).
- Ladle into bowls, and enjoy with warm crusty bread! Yuum.